Friday, October 19, 2007

Negotiating for Mideast peace and a place to park

The parking in Annapolis could go from bad to worse in November.

The city known as much for lousy parking as it is for sailboats is going to see the perfect storm of visitors when the General Assembly and the leaders of the free world converge at the same time.

I can see it now: Condi Rice fighting Michael Busch over a parking meter along Ego Alley.

Really, what are people going to think about our capital city when correspondents from around the world have to park at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium and take a bus in to cover what could be the creation of a Palestinian state?!

Anyway, at least us regular Annapolis visitors have our own favorite parking spot. I’ve been using mine for more than eight years now. Am I supposed to park there? No. Do I? Yes. Where is it? I’m not telling you.

But what choice do I have? I was in Annapolis yesterday to cover a Board of Public Works meeting and I tried to do it right. I looked, trust me, I looked.

Surprise surprise, all the garages were full! All the meters were either only good for a half-hour or taken. So I parked where I always park. And you know what? It felt good.

I’m sure I’m not the only one with a secret parking spot in Annapolis. Let’s do Condi a favor and let her know where she can find a hidden gem of a parking spot so she can focus on peace in the Middle East and not the guy on the bus next to her who is looking at her boots.

Share your favorite spot with Condi (anonymously of course. Wouldn’t want to see you towed away!)

-LOUIS LLOVIO, Business Writer

No comments: