Friday, November 16, 2007

Too busy for the holidays?


Pretty soon many of us will be opening our Christmas presents with a Bluetooth headset in our ears, barking orders at office assistants and settling lawsuits under the mistletoe.

That seems to be the way things are headed, at least if you believe a recent poll by staffing firm OfficeTeam.

It found that four out of ten of us won't take any additional days off around the holidays - only the ones our employers provide. Another one in six will only take an extra day or two off.

Is this because we've all already used our vacation time (boy, that camping trip in June was worth it), or because we're simply too busy to detach from work?

WaPo writes: "Research shows that one-third of people who don't use up their vacation think they're too busy to get away."

Are you too busy to enjoy the holidays?

-JACKIE SAUTER, Multimedia Editor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gosh yes! I've got a full-time job, an hour each way commute, an elderly mother who is not doing well so I'm taking care of her and her bills and her home, a house I need to clean, and a husband to spend time with. How do I do all this and cook, clean, decorate & shop for the holidays! Can't even enjoy my birthday because it is the day before Thanksgiving and I have to work and then come home and clean and cook to get ready for the next day. Wish we could just skip the whole mess. Plus all my vacation days are gone from taking mom to drs appts. Husband helps with housework and mother and I'm glad I can help her but I'm mentally exhausted and just not in the mood for holidays and company and all that goes with it. Too much work for one day in November and one day in December.