Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Where everyone (at the designer-discount store) knows your name

A Filene’s Basement opened Wednesday morning in Columbia.

In yet another area where many of the residents seemingly can afford to pay full-price, the new designer-discount store will offer Ralph Lauren sweater sets and the like for just $29.99.


View Larger Map

Although it's been six years since I lived in Howard County, when I visit now, it looks like a rival sibling of a Montgomery County town.

You know what I mean — how you can't walk 25 yards without passing a Panera Bread or seeing a little kid decked out in Crocs.

It used to be a refuge, with less traffic, less development, less pressure, less people.

Anyone love the new Columbia?

-JACKIE SAUTER, Multimedia Editor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Columbia, and I am always surprised when I return how much has changed. I'm happy to see more development (especially with fun stores like Filene's), but the traffic really is getting out of control.

Anonymous said...

I've never liked Columbia. Primary reason? Signage, or lack thereof. I suppose clear, easy to read signage necessary to find places and navigate streets was deemed unpleasant in the planned community.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how we as human beings are so hooked onto electronics. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes cheaper, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://knol.google.com/k/anonymous/-/9v7ff0hnkzef/1]R4 SDHC[/url] DS SPPost)