Friday, September 21, 2007

McDonald's rolls back "morning" to 5a.m.

When I turned on the car this morning, I heard back-to-back advertisements for the McSkillet burrito.

It seems like McDonald's and I were destined to spend the morning together.


View Larger Map

You'll have to forgive me if I seem less than lucid; there's a good reason - it's 5:25a.m., and though it looks like the middle of the night outside, here in McDonald's, time stands still.

In 2.5 hours, when I begin my commute to work, the streets will be congested and pedestrians will clamor to run in front of my car's path. Right now, there's peace and quiet for all.

Except maybe for those in line.

That's right, at 5:30a.m. in the McDonald's on Rockville Pike and Marinelli Road, there's a line. A middle-aged businessman, a retired war veteran (noted on his hat) and several Metro employees are waiting in line to order a hot breakfast. Having beat them by a few minutes, I'm already sitting with my helping of fast food.

This morning's menu might be the same as always, but it's hard to complain; I mistakenly received 2 hash browns, but hey, they're two for $1.

As I look out the window, it seems traffic's already picked up considerably since I arrived. Guess you (the early bird) have to rise promptly at 5a.m. to truly beat traffic (the worm).

Oh well. Time for some more fruit n'yogurt parfait as I try to determine whether this small contingent of the world is on to something.

Any early risers out there care to offer some insight?

-JACKIE SAUTER, Multimedia Editor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Insight into what? Commutes? A lot of people get up and begin their commutes to work that early. I suppose it depends upon where you live and to where you commute, along with (oftentimes) the job you do.

Breakfasts? I wouldn't suggest a regular helping of McD's breakfasts. It's a nice, fatty, comforting treat on occasion, but shouldn't (IMHO) be eaten daily (something many Americans tend to forget or ignore).