Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Times’ “Nine”

Trust the New York Times to link some of the coolest cats around and nine of the traditionally “un-coolest” cats around.

The cover of this week’s book review snappily boasts a clever takeoff of the Ocean’s Eleven (and Twelve, and presumably Thirteen) movie posters, with nine Supreme Court justices coolly walking across an elongated number “9”.

The review is for CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin’s latest book, “The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court.”

The article touches on the difficulties covering the closed vault of the Supreme Court and praises Toobin’s “engaging” writing. But it also criticizes him for not digging deeper into the secrecy of the court and for taking too long to get to the newest recruits, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Samuel Anthony Alito Jr.

Call me a sucker for Supreme Court gossip (I’m in the middle of reading Jan Crawford Greenburg’s “Supreme Conflict” right now) but even with a not-quite-glowing review, I still plan on checking out Toobin’s latest dish.

If anyone has read The Nine already, or wants to read it too, I’d love to hear from you. Keep in mind, if I don’t like it I’m not above another post blaming you all for not warning me, so speak up!

-LIZ FARMER, Legal Affairs Writer

No comments: